Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Can someone give me advice on my marriage?

I met my husband online 3 years ago and we were married in a year and two months. I had always had bad luck with guys and was always hurt by the guys I truly wanted. I thought my husband was the most amazing guy in the world. I knew we had different interests but I didn't care because I saw him as honest, caring, hard working, smart, funny, reliable, and smoking hot. About a year ago (in November) we were at a wedding and I noticed him say something to some people at our table that kind of didn't make sense. Ever since then I've noticed it more and more. He has clear misconceptions about knowledge that is considered common knowledge or basic facts and sometimes he says things out in left field (like comments that don't fit with the conversation) or corny jokes that aren't funny. I never noticed him doing these things for two years. He also has a hard time accurately explaining the way something happened or remembering things that to me are sooo easy to remember.





All of these problems make me doubt his ability to be successful and they take away my faith and confidence in him as well as my attraction to him. He is very sweet, my family loves him, he works hard and always takes care of his responsibilities. He is supportive of me and loves me very much. I never noticed any of these things for two years and now I just feel like it is getting worse everyday. I'm afraid of social situations because of what he might say, but no one ever (except one friend) has ever said anything bad about his personality (however, they haven't been around him that much). He is neat and clean, doesn't break a promise to me, helps me with housework and would go out of his way for me in a heartbeat.





I also feel upset because I am a deep, philosophical, imaginative person and he is more take things with a grain of salt and let them roll off your back. Sometimes I find myself getting stuck when I try to get deep with him about religion, politics, philosophy, etc. He also sometimes finds things confusing that are so simple to me.





As I said, I never noticed any of this for two years. I know it was the honeymoon stage but I don't think I could miss someone being confused and making irrelevant comments. We go to therapy and I suggested that he get a psychological evaluation but the therapist doesn't think it is necessary. If anything he thinks I should go on OCD meds. Everyday I am more and more upset about this. I want to kill myself but I would never do that. I dream about being in a happier relationship and if I could I would fix things so I didn't feel so distant, detatched, and displeased. I don't know what to do...





Any adviceCan someone give me advice on my marriage?
My husband has this problem where he can forget things really easily. He's also really smart, but I started having to repeat things to him more than once and I was getting really really annoyed by it. Finally, I just told him that I was getting frustrated and we needed to work on his memory skills (I have a photographic memory so it was extremely difficult for me to talk to someone who wouldn't register what I was saying at all) and he agreed that he absorbs some things but not others. I bring it up when it bothers me and reemphasizing it has seemed to help. It's taking time and it will probably take even more, but at least he is working on it. Just talk to him about how you feel about this - it could just be something he does, not something that will require him to get a psychological evaluation (especially if your therapist doesn't think it's necessary). It could just be that he blocks a lot of conversations out and doesn't listen to exactly what's being said, so when he throws his opinion out there, it doesn't seem to relate. Just talk to him.Can someone give me advice on my marriage?
Listen to your counselor! What the hell are you paying him for if you aren't going to listen to what the man has to say? Does it occur to you that those medications might help in bringing about that happier relationship?
You soudn like you're ashamed to be out with him and he sounds liek a good guy. Get used to him and try to love him for it. No one is ever going to be 100% perfect but you learn to live with eachothers differences. Could you have your religious/philisophical discussions with someone else? Another friend?





Also.. if thinks appear to be easy for you, could it be because you;re lookign at it from your perspective not his. DO you still love him as he is?
I don't know that much about OCD but you would probably notice if you had a problem.





I know many people meet their spouse on the Internet. Personally I am not a fan of Internet dating. I'm a small town girl and I would rather meet someone in person. I feel it's more difficult for family and friends to observe a relationship if the Internet is used a lot.





I am not a doctor but from what you've said I wonder if your husband ever abused drugs. Certain drugs can do damage that could cause confusion or memory problems. If you've noticed these problems recently or they are getting worse he may be hiding a drug addiction. It doesn't sound like he has a drinking problem.





People can try to shift the problem (blame) and attention to someone else if they have an addiction. Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment