Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Advice needed for co-dependent marriage?

I have been told by a counselor that I am co-dependent, and this is probably the reason I have stayed in an unsatisfying marriage for over 20 years. I would rather be miserable, and feel safe with what I have at home, than divorce her and venture out on my own. However, I am on the verge of finally breaking free and leaving.





Is there anyone out there who has delt with this and how did it work out for you? Advice needed for co-dependent marriage?
It sounds like you have some self esteem and self confidence issues.





Maybe these are the issues that you need to address in counseling and it may help to answer some of your other questions.Advice needed for co-dependent marriage?
I was also in a co-dependent relationship and stayed because at the time I was afraid to be alone. I finally had enough and took that big plunge and left him. Whenever I look back I cannot believe I every even saw anything in him and I am so very grateful that I left. I grew from that experience as I was forced to face myself and all of my fears and learned it wasn't so bad being alone after all. I advanced on my education and got a great job where I became financially stable and loved how it felt to be independent. But that was many years ago. I am now married to a great guy and I could not be happier. Continue on your therapy so that you can find the guidance to walk you through gaining your independence. The self respect and the respect you get from others when you are independent is worth it. Admitting you have a problem is the first step, doing something about it is the next step. Good luck to you!
I had to completely leave the area and move to a new culture (Japan) to get over it. I had to get therapy for over a year and was really depressed at first. It was over 2 years before I starting dating after the breakup.





A little over 3 years later I met and married a wonderful woman from the Philippines and have been married for over 8 years now and been living in the Philippines for the last 6 years. I am very happy now and evan through I went through allot of emotional pain, it was all worth it in the end.





Good luck to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment